James Wesley Scott is Professor of Regional and Border Studies at the Karelian Institute at the University of Eastern Finland in Joensuu. He is a former Research Fellow of the Leibniz-Institute for Regional Development and Structural Planning in Erkner (Germany) and Associate Professor (Privatdozent) of Geography at the Free University of Berlin. Prof. Scott obtained his Habilitation (2006), his PhD (1990) as well as his MA (1986) degrees at the Free University of Berlin and his BSc at the University of California Berkeley (1979).
Among his research interests are: urban and regional development policy, geopolitics, border studies, transboundary regionalism in Europe and North America as well as the spatial implications of Eastern and Central European transformation processes. He has coordinated numerous EU funded research projects on cross-border cooperation such as EXLINEA and EUDIMENSIONS within the EU’s Fifth and Sixth Framework Programmes, respectively.
- Braum, G., Scott, J. W. (2013): Smart Growth: Sustainability Innovation. In: Mieg, H. A., Töpfer, K. (eds.): Institutional and Social Innovation for Sustainable Urban Development. 421 p. Abingdon: Routledge, 2013. pp. 44-56. (Routledge Studies in Sustainable Development; 1.)
- Pálné Kovács, I., Scott, J. W., Gál, Z. (eds. 2013): Territorial Cohesion in Europe: For the 70th Anniversary of the Transdanubian Research Institute. Pécs: Institute for Regional Studies, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, 2013. 516 p.
- Scott, J. W. (2013): Constructing Familiarity in Finnish-Russian Karelia: Shifting Uses of History and the Re-Interpretation of Regions. EUROPEAN PLANNING STUDIES 21:(1) pp. 75-92.
- Scott, J. W. (2013): The EU’s Role in Promoting Cross-Border Co-operation: Perspectives from the Finnish-Russian Border Region. In: Ergun, A., Isaxanli, H. (eds.): Security and Cross-Border Cooperation in the EU, the Black Sea Region and Southern Caucasus. Amsterdam: IOS Press, 2013. pp. 22-41.
- Eskelinen, H., Liikanen, I., Scott, J. W. (eds. 2012): The EU-Russia Borderland: New Contexts for Regional Cooperation. London: Routledge, 238 p. (BASEES/Routledge Series on Russian and East European Studies)
- Keresztély, K., Scott, J. W. (2012): Urban Regeneration in the Post-Socialist Context: Budapest and the Search for a Social Dimension. EUROPEAN PLANNING STUDIES 20:(7) pp. 1111-1134.
- Kolossov, V., Scott, J. W. (2012): Karelia: A Finnish-Russian Borderland on the Edge of Neighbourhood. In: Eskelinen, H., Liikanen, .I, Scott, J. W. (eds.): The EU-Russia Borderland: New Contexts for Regional Cooperation. 238 p. London: Routledge . pp. 194-210.
- Scott, J. W., Kuhn, M. (2012): Urban Change and Urban Development Strategies in Central East Europe: A Selective Assessment of Events Since 1989. EUROPEAN PLANNING STUDIES 20:(7) pp. 1093-1109.
- Scott, J. W., Laine, J. (2012): Borderwork: Finnish-Russian co-operation and civil society engagement in the social economy of transformation. ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT 24:(3-4) pp. 181-197.
- Scott, J. W. (2012): European Politics of Borders, Border Symbolism and Cross-Border Cooperation. In: Wilson, T. M., Donnan, H. (eds.): A Companion to Border Studies. 620 p., Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd., 2012. pp. 83-99. (Blackwell Companions to Anthropology; 19.)
- Scott, J. W. (2012): Comment. REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT DIALOGUE 33:(1) pp. 61-63.
- Liikanen, I., Scott, J. W. (eds. 2011): European Neighbourhood through Civil Society Networks?: Policies, Practices and Perceptions. London: Routledge. 136 p.
- Scott J. W. (2011): Borders, Border Studies and EU Enlargement. In: Wastl-Walter, D. (ed.): The Ashgate Research Companion to border studies. 705 p. Farnham: Ashgate, 2011. pp. 123-142.
- Scott, J. W. (2011): Reflections on EU Geopolitics: Consolidation, Neighbourhood and Civil Society in the Reordering of European Space. GEOPOLITICS 16:(1) pp. 146-175.
- Scott, J. W., Liikanen, I. (2010): Civil society and the 'Neighbourhood' - Europeanization through cross-border cooperation? JOURNAL OF EUROPEAN INTEGRATION 32:(5) pp. 423-438.
- Scott J. W. (2010): The European Union, the Emerging Neighbourhood and Geopolitics of Inclusion and Exclusion. In: Gorzelak, G., Bachtler, J., Smętkowski, M. (eds.): Regional Development in Central and Eastern Europe. 338 p. London; New York: Routledge, 2010. pp. 188-212. (Routledge Contemporary Russia and Eastern Europe; 20.)
- Scott, J. W., van Houtum, H. (2009): Guest Editorial: Reflections on EU Territoriality and the ‘Bordering’ of Europe. Political Geography, 28 (5), pp. 271-273.
- Scott, J. W. (2009): Bordering and Ordering the European Neighbourhood. A Critical Perspective on EU Territoriality and Geopolitics. TRAMES A Journal of the Humanities and Social Sciences, (13) 3, pp. 232–247
- Scott, J. W. (2009): New Regionalism and Evolving Territorialities of the State. in Scott, J. W. (ed.), De-Coding New Regionalism. Shifting Socio-Political Contexts in Central Europe and Latin America, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 249-256.
- Scott, J. W. (2007): Smart Growth as Urban Reform: A Pragmatic ‘Recoding’ of the New Regionalism. Urban Studies, 44 (1), pp. 15–35.
- Scott, J. W. (2006): EU Enlargement, Region-building and Shifting Borders of Inclusion and Exclusion, Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Scott, J. W. (2006): A Review of Eiki Berg and Henk van Houtum (eds.): Mapping Borders Between Territories, Discourses and Practices. GeoJournal, 67, pp. 103-105.
- Scott, J. W. (2006): Wider Europe: Geopolitics of Inclusion and Exclusion at the EU’s new External Boundaries. in: Scott, J. W. (ed.), EU Enlargement, Region-building and Shifting Borders of Inclusion and Exclusion, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 17-34.
- Scott, J. W. (2005): Transnational Regionalism, Strategic Geopolitics, and European Integration: The Case of the Baltic Sea Region. in: Heather Nicol und Ian Townsend-Gault (eds.) Holding the Line. Borders in a Global World, Vancouver: UBC Press, S. 90-116.
- Scott, J. W. (2005): The EU and ‘Wider Europe’: Toward an Alternative Geopolitics of Regional Cooperation? Geopolitics, 10 (3), pp. 429 – 454.
- Scott, J. W. (2004): The Northern Dimension: “Multiscalar” Regionalism in an Enlarging European Union? in: Olivier Kramsch and Barbara Hooper (eds.), Cross-Border Governance in the European Union. London: Routledge, pp.135-156.
- Scott, J. W. (2002): Transboundary Governance in the Baltic Sea Region: Emerging Patterns, Preliminary Results. in: Regional and Federal Studies, 12(4), 135-153.
- Scott, J. W. (2002): Baltic Sea Regionalism, EU Geopolitics and Symbolic Geographies of Co-operation. in: Journal of Baltic Studies, 33 (2), 137-155.
- Scott, J. W. (2002): A Networked Space of Meaning? Spatial Politics as Geostrategies of European Integration. in: Space and Polity, 6(2), 147-167
- Scott, J. W. (2000): Transboundary Co-operation on Germany’s Borders: Strategic Regionalism through Multilevel Governance. in: Journal of Borderlands Studies, XV (1), 143-167.
- Scott, J. W. (2000): Euroregions, Governance and Transborder Co-operation Within the EU. in: European Research in Regional Science, Vol. 10 (Border, Regions and People), 104-115.
// 2015.01.07.Crossing the borders: best practices of cross-border cooperation within the Danube Region
Closing Conference of the project, Budapest, February 26, 2015
// 2014.09.05.Professional internship for university students